The last thing you need when traveling is to be hit with extra charges on anything, from baggage fees to car rental surprises. If you aren’t careful, car rental companies can tack on some pretty stiff charges, such as additional auto insurance or fees for things like a GPS system. With some advance planning, you can lower your car rental expenses by following these tips:
1) Plan ahead. Go ahead and if you travel on holidays you might even have trouble getting a car if you wait until the last minute.
2) Rent near the airport. Some people think that by traveling some distance away from the airport, you can get a better deal on a car. You might save 20 or 30 dollars, but you’ll spend that much on the cab fair to get there. Not to mention the hassle of returning it and then getting to the airport on time when your trip is over!
3) If you call to reserve a stand gas.
4) Be wary of add-ons. If you have a smart phone, you don’t need a GPS system in your rental car (or if you have a GPS system in your own car, just bring it along). If you can get your child’s car seat onto the plane, then you don’t need to rent one – and ask yourself if you really need them.
5) Always look for coupons online. Before reserving your car, do a quick Google search for discount codes. This only takes a few minutes, and you can often save 10 to 30 percent on your car rental.
6) Don’t buy the extra insurance. Your current auto insurance policy covers you in the event of an accident.